Welcome to the City of Waverly!
Waverly, founded in 1836, is the second largest city in Morgan County, with nearly 1300 residents, and occupies one square mile of rich and fertile land 90 miles north of St. Louis, 210 miles south southwest of Chicago, and 30 miles southwest of Springfield. Approximately 3000 customers are located in the local trading area. Waverly contains over 400 homes, has over sixteen miles of all-weather street and roadways, supports its own elementary and high school, and owns and operates its own water and sewer systems. Since Waverly's founding, Salter Park has been the heart of the city. Located in the middle of the business district, this exceptionally well-maintained six acre park contains a band stage, a pavilion, a War Memorial, basketball court, a large playground area which was constructed by community volunteers and is the site of the Waverly Community Picnic held each year in August. Waverly is also the home of the Waverly Holiday Tournament (the best small school tournament in Illinois) for high school boy's basketball in December every year since 1951.
We are very proud of our city, its people, our lifestyles, and activities.
** IMPORTANT NOTICE **
1. Effective April 1, 2021, late fees and fees for using a credit/debit card were reinstated by the City of Waverly. Utility payments are due by the 23rd of each month, with late fees implemented on the 24th. If payment is not received, utilities may be shutoff on the 11th of the following month. If you have questions, please call the City Office at (217) 435-4611.
2. Waverly Public Library operating hours are as follows:
Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 1:00pm - 5:30pm
Wednesday: 1:00pm - 7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 12:00pm
3. Waverly has a new Chief of Police. Chris Johnson officially assumed the duties of Chief of Police on November 2, 2020. Chief Johnson comes to Waverly with an abundance of experience and will serve our community well. If you have questions or need assistance, please call (217) 435-2351.
4. Golf Cart Renewals are due by April 1, 2021. If you plan on operating a golf cart or UTV on the city streets, you will need a current permit staring April 1, 2021. Please see Chief Johnson. Cost is $75.00.
5. Waverly Lake Boat Permits are available at City Hall and the Water Plant. The cost is $25.00 and the permits are good for the period: April 1, 2021 through March 31, 2022.